The Oregon Health Authority is reporting a total of 12 cases of Shiga toxin E. coli linked to eating at Chipotle restaurants in the Portland Metro area, up from three cases that were first reported October 31.
Among the cases, three were hospitalized, Katrina Hedberg, MD, state health officer with OHA’s Public Health Division, said during a media briefing today. There have been no deaths. People in Multnomah, Clackamas and Washington counties, as well as Columbia, Benton and Deschutes counties have reported symptoms.
Many people affected with Shiga toxin E. coli may not seek health care, so the number of people made ill by this outbreak is likely more than identified.
Health officials want people who have eaten at a Chipotle during October 2015, and became ill with vomiting and bloody diarrhea, to see their health care provider and mention this outbreak.
The Oregon Health Authority, Washington State Department of Health, the Food and Drug Administration and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are working with local health departments in the Portland metro region, and in other Oregon counties on the outbreak investigation.
Chipotle has closed at least 14 of its restaurants in the Portland metro area (Multnomah, Clackamas and Washington counties) to assist public health agencies with their investigation.
Most people infected develop watery or bloody diarrhea and abdominal cramps within one to 10 days, with the average three to four days. Most illnesses resolve on their own within seven days. Most people recover within a week but, rarely, some develop a severe type of kidney failure which can begin as the diarrhea is improving and is most common in children under 5 years old and the elderly.