Monday, February 9, 2015

2/9/15 Health News: Girl’s death raises questions about food safety ♦ Politics of Measles ♦ MOST DON’T USE FOOD THERMOMETERS ♦ Gut bacteria linked to kidney disease ♦ Prevent heart failure

The politics of Measles
Twenty-five years ago, when a doctor named Robert Ross was the deputy health commissioner of Philadelphia, a measles epidemic swept the country. Until this year’s outbreak, which started at Disneyland and has so far sickened more than a hundred people, the 1989-91 epidemic was the most alarming that the United States had seen since 1963, when the measles vaccine was introduced. Continue reading
Girl’s death raises questions about food safety, govt institutions
"I myself paid the fee of Rs 8,000 for the test at PCSIR but they still cannot tell me when I will get the report." Kanza, a student of class eight, died last week and her mother and two younger siblings fell ill, the family claimed, after consuming burgers at the Dilpasand Sweets’ Continue Reading
MOST CONSUMERS DON’T USE FOOD THERMOMETERS DESPITE IMPORTANCE TO FOOD SAFETY
A couple of weeks ago, I was having dinner with my parents. My dad was making chicken and asked me what temperature he needed to cook it to. After all, working for Food Safety News does qualify me as the food-safety expert of the family. “165 degrees F,” I told him. “What if it’s barely... Continue Reading
Gut bacteria byproduct linked to chronic kidney disease for the first time
For the first time, researchers have linked trimethylamine N-oxide -- a gut metabolite formed during the digestion of egg-, red meat- or dairy-derived nutrients choline and carnitine -- to chronic kidney disease.Continue Reading
.Bioengineered miniature structures could prevent heart failure
The delivery of tiny biodegradable microstructures to heart tissue damaged by heart attack may help repair the tissue and prevent future heart failure Continue Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment