Hines Nut Company, Dallas, TX, today announced a voluntary recall of WALNUT HALVES & PIECES, Lot Number 6908. The product was sold by GOLD STATE NUT COMPANY of Biggs, CA, and packaged by Hines Nut Company. These nuts may be contaminated with Salmonella.
Salmonella is an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and those with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
The product was packaged and distributed as follows:
HINES NUT BRAND
- Packed in black foam trays with a Green and Gold Label
- Weight of 12 or 16 ounces
- Packaged between November 25 and December 5, 2014
- Lot Number printed on label
- Distributed in Texas
- Best by dates from September 21, 2015 to October 1, 2015
HARRIS TEETER FARMERS MARKET BRAND
- Packed in black foam trays with a Red and Black label
- Weight of 10 ounces
- Packaged December 2, 2014
- Lot number printed on Nutrition Facts label on back of package
- Distributed to two distribution centers in North Carolina
- Best by date of September 28, 2015
To date, Hines Nut Company, Inc. has not received any complaints concerning illness on this lot number. Consumers who have purchased any of the recalled products are urged not to eat them and to contact Hines Nut Company for information regarding a full refund or for disposal information.
Consumers can contact the Company at 1 800-561-6374 for information regarding this recall. This toll-free number is operational Monday – Friday, 7 am to 4 pm CST.